Thursday, April 05, 2007

Miscellany

A quote I stole from Anjali:
"A certain man," said Rex, as he turned round the corner with Margot, "once lost a diamond cuff-link in the wide blue sea, and twenty years later, on the exact day, a Friday apparently, he was eating a large fish -- but there was no diamond inside. That's what I like about coincidence."
A Sopranos-related link I stole from Joshua, with mention of a Sopranos-related philosophical work called "Bada-Being and Nothingness."

My new favorite blog, The Numbers Guy blog, by a guy that writes mainly about the misuse of numbers in the media, but also has some interesting thoughts on numbers in general, and the sense of legitimacy they provide. His columns are even better. Check out this one on whether the iPod's shuffle feature is truly random and this one on how economists would split a three-way cab ride.

On the personal side, I moved to where the Hasidim and hipsters are last weekend: Williamsburg. But in a twist, my high school water polo friend just arrived in town, and wants to find a place with me. Josh said, "When it rains, it pours," and I said that raining apartments would be painful.

No comments: