Friday, September 22, 2006

House, MD

If only the name of that show were more literal. I could really use a doctor to help with the housing hunt.



A conversation with my friend Josh:

Josh: So, any dating for you?
Me: No. I lack permanent shelter at the moment.
Josh: So?
Me: So, you know that pyramid of human needs? The one you learn about in high school? Who made it? Pavlov, or something?
Josh: Uh, maybe.
Me: Yeah, well, shelter is at the base, with food and water and stuff. I need to take care of those things first.
Josh: So where is sex?
Me: I don't know. Higher.
Josh: It should be at the same level as food and water.

As with most things in life, I was wrong. First, it's called Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, and second, sex is indeed at the base, along with food, water, excretion, sleeping, and other physiological needs.

Next comes security, such as:
* Security of employment
* Security of revenues and resouncy, aggressions
* Moral and physiological security
* Familial security
* Security of health

So in other words, we should all be more concerned with sex than with our jobs, income, physical well-being, family, and health.

Sounds about right.

No comments: